We’re often told that we’re never too old to learn, but at...Read More
Infant Swimming Lessons in San Francisco Bay Area
WHY SHOULD BABIES TAKE SWIM LESSONS?
Some parents worry about putting their children in a pool before they’re old enough to walk, but the benefits of getting your kids splashing around in the water as babies can pay off for a lifetime. Some of the many benefits of infant swim lessons include:
- Improved safety: Some parents worry that being comfortable in water can increase the risk of drowning for infants because they will get too close to pools or lakes. But research has actually shown that lessons can reduce the risk of drowning by teaching kids key safety skills from a young age.
- Enhanced cognitive functioning: Infant swim lessons can help your baby’s brain grow by utilizing movements that use both sides of the body. These movements combined with the tactile sensation of water can spur mental development and learning later on.
- Bonding time: Getting to play in the water with a parent or other caregiver is a great bonding experience for infants during key developmental phases. Skin-to-skin contact, water play, and songs all contribute to having fun and cultivating positive interactions.
WHY CHOOSE LA PETITE BALEEN SWIM SCHOOLS FOR INFANT SWIMMING LESSONS?
At La Petite Baleen Swim Schools in the Bay Area, we have decades of experience providing top-quality swim lessons to kids and infants since 1979. With such extensive experience and top-quality training for our instructors, you know you can count on our team members to provide safe, reliable instruction for you and your child.
Our baby swim lessons are all offered as joint caregiver-baby classes, so you are in the water with your child at all times. We have bilingual swim instructors who can teach in Spanish or English for maximum access for parents, as well as four locations throughout the Bay Area so you can find the location that’s most convenient for you. Choose from San Bruno, Redwood City, Half Moon Bay, or San Francisco to cut down on commute times.
Contact La Petite Baleen today to get more information or to schedule your baby’s swim lesson by calling (844) 339-5015.Sign Up
WHAT DO BABIES LEARN IN SWIM CLASSES?
You may wonder how babies can benefit from swim lessons when they aren’t even old enough to walk yet, but the skills they learn in these early days can go a long way toward forming a foundation for technical skills and strokes later on. At La Petite Baleen Swim Schools, our infant swim lessons all have a 6:1 student-to-teacher ratio, so you know you’re getting safe, hands-on attention and instruction. Some of the things your infant will learn in our classes include:
- Breath control, balance, and buoyancy taught through a series of songs and games
- Safety skills, like underwater submersions, back floats, and grasping the wall
- The use of goggles and, at approximately 12 months, fins are introduced.
WHEN SHOULD BABIES START SWIMMING LESSONS?
Starting swimming lessons early on is a great way to get your child comfortable with water and improve their safety skills around pools, lakes, and even bathtubs. While some parents worry that exposure to water at a young age will make children too comfortable around water, leading them to behave unsafely, research has found the opposite to be true. A 2009 research study found that participation in formal swimming lessons was associated with an 88 percent reduction in the risk of drowning in children ages one to four.
At La Petite Baleen Swim Schools in the Bay Area, we offer swim lessons for children as young as two months old. This introductory level of lessons focuses on improving your child’s comfort around water and learning basic water safety skills. We also help the caregiver participating in the class learn about water safety and how to keep your infant safe around water. Check out our class finder tool to learn more about which level is right for your child.Sign Up
Our Top-Quality Baby Swimming Lessons Are Great for Everyone
La Petite Baleen Swim Schools has been teaching infants how to swim since our first baby swim class in 1979. Paving the way in swimming lessons for infants in San Francisco, CA, and the Bay Area, we help babies and their caregivers get comfortable in our AQUATIC CLASSROOMSM and learn basic safety skills. Some parents are hesitant to participate in swim lessons before their baby can walk and wait for swimming lessons for toddlers, but we believe providing a key foundation in safety and basic water skills starting as young as two months old will help children enjoy swimming for the rest of their lives. Our baby swim lessons are all offered as joint caregiver-baby classes, so you are always in the water with your child. Taking the plunge into baby swimming lessons doesn’t have to be scary for your little one. Call us today to schedule your first class!
Free Infant Swimming Lessons at La Petite Baleen
There are tremendous benefits for infant swimmers, and we invite you now to take advantage of our Free Infant Swim program. Available for 2 month – 5-month-old infants, come and experience the joy of swimming with your newborn at one of our clean, warm-water locations. In these classes, you and your infant will learn about our award-winning curriculum which includes different holding techniques, swim positions, safety, and plenty of songs and games!
Free Infant Swim Lessons are subject to availability. Our annual membership fee will be applied at the time of registration. When your baby turns 6 months old you will be auto-enrolled into our swim program and begin paying the appropriate tuition rate for your class unless you decide to cancel your lessons before your promotion end date.
Questions about our Infant Swim Program? Our knowledgeable Swimformation staff can assist you. Call us at (866) 896-3603.
We have 4 San Francisco Bay Area Locations!
What Do Baby Swim Schools Teach Infants Learning to Swim?
Your infant, as well as their caregiver, will learn a lot with baby swimming lessons. From getting comfortable with the water to practicing underwater submersions, your baby will be guided through different exercises with our top-tier swim teachers. Learning how to swim at a young age isn’t just for fun. A 2009 research study found that participation in formal swimming lessons was associated with an 88 percent decrease in the risk of drowning in children ages one through four, and we are committed to providing a safe, reliable environment for you and your child. Your baby will learn several skills in our AQUATIC CLASSROOMSM, including:
- Breath Control, Balance, & Buoyancy – These skills are taught to your baby through a series of songs and games to make it a fun learning environment.
- Enhanced Cognitive Function – Infant swim lessons can help your baby’s brain grow by utilizing movements that use both sides of the body. These movements combined with the tactile sensation of water can enhance mental development and learning later on in their life.
- Safety Skills – Your baby will learn things like underwater submersion, how to float on their back, and how to grasp the wall at our baby swim schools. Some parents worry their baby will get too comfortable with the water if they take swim lessons early, but research has shown that lessons can reduce the risk of drowning by teaching kids key safety skills from a young age.
- Using Goggles – We will get your baby comfortable with using goggles while swimming. Fins are introduced by 12 months of age as well.
- Bonding Time – Bonding with your baby at this age is so important. Getting to splash in the water with a parent or other caregiver is a great bonding experience for infants during this key developmental phase. Singing songs, having skin-to-skin contact, and water play all contribute to having fun and cultivating positive interactions.
We Prioritize & Teach Water Safety to Caregivers
At La Petite Baleen, we are also committed to helping the caregiver participating in the class learn about water safety and how to keep their baby safe around water. Here are some steps you can take to promote water safety to prevent drowning:
- Actively supervise your child while they swim.
- Know CPR and First Aid.
- Make sure the supervising adult knows how to swim.
- Make sure your kids know how to swim.
- Fence-in your pool.
- Keep your pool well-equipped with safety equipment.
- Beware of drains.
- Clean up toys when not in use.
- Never let your child swim alone.
- Make sure your children don’t engage in horseplay in the pool, including pushing others into a pool.
Swim Diaper Policy
All swimmers under the age of 3 years old are required to wear a non-disposable, snug-fitting swim diaper, even if they are potty trained. Swim diapers may be worn alone, or with a swimming suit over them. Swim diapers are available for purchase at all 4 LPB locations.
Why Choose La Petite Baleen for Swimming Lessons for Baby?
La Petite Baleen has been providing swim lessons in the San Francisco, CA area for more than 40 years. Teaching all ages, from infants to adults, our AQUATIC CLASSROOMSSM provide a fun, safe environment for all our swimmers and caregivers. Your baby will love getting comfortable in the water and having more independence as they learn new water skills alongside their caregiver. Our CPR and First Aid Certified swimming teachers are highly trained in the La Petite Baleen method of teaching swimming and look forward to instructing new students. Contact us today if you’re interested in learning more about our baby swimming lessons!Sign Up Tuition